Pixstat is a software designed to measure the size and area of objects on a picture. The current version is 1.3.
Pixstat's main features are:
- It is available for Windows and works both in 32-bit and in 64-bit versions.
- It handles BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG or TIFF files with 1, 4, 8, 24 or 32 bits per pixel (colour, grey scale or black-and-white).
- Objects are recognized based on their colours, separating them from the background by using any linear combination between the three colour channels red, green and blue. To avoid counting specks, a minimum size per object can be defined.
- The software is able to calculate the threshold to distinguish between objects and background, taking into account the γ (gamma) value of the picture.
- Picture files can be analysed individually or as batches of several pictures.
- The area of any object can be measured. The length and width are also measured on objects for which these parameters can be defined according to their general shape. Each object can easily be identified on the picture.
- Results are stored as standard text file, easy to import in softwares used for further processing (spreadsheet, statistical software...).
- Pixstat can be run with different language files. Currently available are: English, French and German.
- It is also possible to acquire pictures directly from a scanner. This function uses the standard interface Twain, but this interface is not freely available for 64-bits operating systems, so it will work only in 32-bit.
- An integrated help is available (in English only), and an FAQ page is available.
- Pixstat is very easy to install: download and run the installation file. Because Pixstat is based on the .net framework 3.5, you will get a message telling you to install this framework if it is not yet on your computer. Unfortunately, this installation is no longer done automatically in the backgroud, so you will have to launch this download and installation manually. Please search the web for "install .net 3.5" if you are not sure how to proceed.
Pixstat can be dowloaded as freeware.